Monday, September 30, 2013

Bass Week 2013

This week on the blog is going to be Bass Week. On Sunday I went fishing for striped bass in Montauk with some friends. It was so much fun! We chartered a fishing boat and pushed off at 5:30am. 
It was an early start for sure, but worth it. We caught the most fish right before/at sunrise. Maria caught this huge 35 lb striper.
I was catching bluefish for a while but finally reeled in two stripers.

It was so beautiful. We had a great view of the Montauk lighthouse (in the distance) and the color of the sky was amazing.

And the best part? There were six of us and we each got to keep two fish. Eddie, the first mate, threw back the smaller fish (and all my blue fish) and filleted all the bass on the boat as we went back to shore.
Jamie and I went home with 8 large striped bass fillets - each enough to feed like 6 people. We gave one to my parents, froze two in Southampton, ate some of one for dinner last night saving a bit for tonight and tomorrow, and divided up the rest in individual sizes in ziploc bags to freeze.
Basically, we will be eating bass for a long time. While I have a nice big fillet in the fridge this week, I'll be blogging about different ways to cook it, starting with en papillotte which I made last night. Hope everyone likes striped bass!

More pictures of the trip...
Pre-dawn
Jess casting the first line
Jamie
All of our fish
Sunrise
Bass fillets ready to be grilled for lunch (just olive oil, salt, and pepper)

No comments:

Post a Comment