Friday, September 30, 2011

Fried Jalapenos and Zucchini




I had some fresh vegetables from my garden (an eggplant, some zucchini, and some jalapenos) and was trying to think of new ways to eat them. I made a pasta with zucchini, eggplant, garlic, bacon, and tomatoes, but I wanted to try a new an hors d'oeuvres as well. I sliced the smallest zucchini into very thin discs with a mandolin, tossed them with flower, and quickly shallow fried them. I then did the same thing with a few jalapenos. So good! I don't know why this isn't a regular bar option. The fried jalapenos were so tasty - they were spicy, but not overwhelmingly so, and had a great crunch. Mixed with the little zucchini discs (which were crispy and a little sweet) it made such an amazing snack. I definitely want to make this next time I have people over. Also, it's so cheap! A couple zucchini and a couple of jalapenos will cost like $2 tops. Can't wait to make it again!

Ingredients:
One (or more) small and firm zucchini, sliced into very thin rounds
2 (or more) jalapenos, sliced into very thin rounds

about 4 tbsp flour
big pinch of salt, plus more
big pinch of fresh black pepper
pinch of chipotle powder
canola/vegetable oil

Heat about 1/2" of oil in a small skillet or sauce pan. Mix the dry ingredients in a zip lock bag. Throw in the zucchini slices and shake until covered. Pour into a sieve and shake off excess flour. When a pinch of flour sizzles in the oil, add the zucchini slices (not all at the same time) and cook until slightly brown - this should only take like 30 seconds. Remove and put on a plate lined with paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Place in a warm oven.

Repeat the same process with the jalapeno slices. Toss the jalapenos and zucchinis together and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment