Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Green Bean Thoren (Indian Stir Fry)

 
When we were in Cochin, we went to a wonderful cooking demonstration at Nimmy and Paul's house (http://www.nimmypaul.com/). We had such a great time. They have a beautiful house and were so warm, and it was great to see a house after having been in hotels for two weeks. Nimmy brought us back to her lovely clean and organized kitchen (I wish I could have a kitchen like it!) and taught us a few Indian dishes including this Thoren. She then served us an incredible dinner with those dishes as well as a few more she'd been working on all day - yum! Jamie and I agreed it was our best dinner of the trip, and such a fun and interesting night.

I made the green bean thoren last night (though I had to omit the fresh coconut because I couldn't find any, and I had to use dried curry leaves instead of fresh which I know are not nearly as good, but it was all I had) and it was fabulous! Such a tasty, new way to have green beans. I'll definitely be making it again, and Nimmy says you can make it with other vegetables like carrots, cabbage, pumpkin, etc.


Here is Nimmy's wonderful recipe - thank you, Nimmy!!

Ingredients:
1 cup finely sliced green beans
5 shallots, sliced
1 green chili, sliced
1 sprig fresh curry leaves
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 dry red chili
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut (just leave out if you don't have the fresh stuff, definitely do not use sweetened coconut)

Directions:
Heat oil in a heavy pan, add mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add dry chili, curry leaves, shallot, green chili, and turmeric. Cook until the shallot browns a bit.
Toss in the green beans and mix well. Salt to taste. Cover and cook until the beens soften, 5-8 minutes, adding a splash of water if needed.
Finally, stir in coconut, cook 1 minute, and remove from heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment