Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Pink Applesauce

It seems that half the people I've spoken to recently have a plethora of apples from either weekend apple picking, or someone else's weekend apple picking. My sister-in-law gave me a whole bunch of apples from her uncle's apple tree - thanks Uncle Bobby! They were little and bright red. Not entirely sure what kind of apples they were. I've made a few things, but this weekend I made some really delicious, and pink, apple sauce! I read somewhere that as long as you use a food mill, you don't need to peel or even core the apples. Makes it so much easier, and you also get all the good flavor (and in this case color) from the skins. The bright red skins gave the apple sauce such a pretty color, and the cinnamon stick I cooked them with gave it just a little bit of a cinnamon flavor. Yum! Also, it's only three ingredients. Very simple. 

Ingredients:
A bunch of apples (I probably used like 10 or 15), washed and cut in half
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
Put the apples in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the water and the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes. 
These were my apples at 20 minutes. Still a little too firm. 
I mashed them up a bit with a wooden spoon and added a little more water. If you think it looks dry, add a little more water. Cover and continue to simmer a few more minutes. 
This is what it looked like - perfectly soft and ready to put in the food mill. I used the middle plate size for the food mill and ground up the apples, periodically removing the skin/seeds/core etc that didn't go through. 
I ended up with a bowl of beautiful peach colored apple sauce and about 1/2 cup of skins etc. 
No sugar needed, but it yours isn't sweet enough, feel free to add a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment