Monday, May 9, 2016

Vegetable Garden Week 9 - May 7

We've got radishes! They're just itty bitty radishes, but I needed to cull them a bit so it was great to have a little something to nibble on. The first harvest is always fun. This is why radishes are great - you get them so early compared to everything else! The French Breakfast radishes (the long and skinny ones) were much milder than the regular round red radishes which had a lot of spiciness. I made a batch of radish butter which is a really great hors d'oeuvres on some crackers. 

They were all growing well and more should be ready next weekend. 
I brought out lots of tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers to plant. It looks great when they're just in the ground. Everything suddenly looks like a garden and there are no weeds or messiness yet. This was before we covered them all with the wall-o-waters. (Wall-o-waters keep them warm in case the temperatures drop. Love them!)
The haricots verts beans are really starting to pop up. The regular green beans are just a little behind.
There may be a bunny in the yard - some of the strawberry plants had been nibbled, unfortunately.  Lettuce is growing well, though!
Snap peas are growing, too. After I took this picture I put up the rest of the string. Jamie and I probably won't be out for a while since the baby is coming soon, so wanted to get as much done as possible. 
There are all my peppers - jalapeno, Scotch bonnet, habenero, thai hot, and cherry bomb.
Next time I see the garden, I'll have a mini gardener with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment