Tuesday, February 8, 2011

poached chicken with blood orange, avocado salsa

After my superbowl indulgence, I thought I needed something fresh and not wrapped in bacon. My go-to healthy dinner is poached chicken breast with a blood orange and avocado salsa. It's super tasty and the salsa I could just eat with a spoon. It's sweet, tangy, and a little spicy. Poached chicken can be a little boring, so I put orange and lime zest, onions, hot sauce, the interior of the oranges (after I segment them), salt, and anything else I have around/think might inprove the flavor (chili powder, pepper, cumin, dried red pepper/red pepper flakes). It's healthy, but it's really good so you don't feel like your missing out.


Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken breast
blood orange
lime
red onion
avocado
jalapeno

Directions:
Put the chicken breast in a small pot and just cover w/ water. Add in zest, sauce, whatever's in your kitchen etc to flavor it (a bouillon cube is also fine). Bring to a boil, turn to a simmer and let simmer, partly covered, for 10 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it sit in the water for about 15 minutes,
Meanwhile, segment the blood orange (throw the remainder in the water) and chop into chunks. Finely chop red onion and jalapeno and cut avocado into chunks. (I find it easiest to do this while it's still in its shell - just draw criss crosses through it and scoop it out). Sprinkle w/ salt and lime juice to taste. Add more jalapenos if you want it to be hotter.
Slice the chicken breast, or serve whole, and top with the salsa. It tastes fresh and bright and the flavors are complex (and tasty) enough that you're not craving more food after.

No comments:

Post a Comment