Friday, March 7, 2014

Baby Bok Choy with Chili Garlic Sauce

I had a comment from Deanna saying she was looking for a good baby bok choy recipe. I grabbed some good looking baby bok choy from the grocery and browsed some recipes. We were having dumplings, so I wanted to go with a sort of Chinese flavor. I thought it was really tasty. I think the most important part is not overcooking it. Deanna, hope you like it!!

Serves 2
Ingredients:
2 heads baby bok choy
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp minced ginger
1 small scallion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp corn starch
1 tsp water
1/2 tsp chili garlic paste
salt
drizzle of sesame oil

Directions:
First, slice off the bottom of the bok choy. Wash and dry them really well. 
I used a salad spinner.
In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, chili garlic paste, corn starch, and water.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the ginger and shallot and saute about 1-2 minutes until fragrant and tender.
Add the bok choy and toss constantly until wilted, about 2 minutes. 
Lower the heat a little and add the sauce. Toss until it thickens and coats the box choy.
The leaves should be wilted and the white parts should be crisp tender.
Add salt to taste and drizzle with a little sesame oil before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Sybil, Thank you so much for researching and posting. I am going to be out of town over the next week, but this is going to be at the top of my weeknight cooking adventure list when I return. I am inspired! I will be sure to let you know how it goes. All the best, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sybil, I got to make this wonderful recipe tonight! I had picked up some good looking baby bok choy a while ago (it kept a surprisingly long time in the fridge) and had the day off today, so I set to work in the kitchen. I cheated on the chili garlic paste by combining sriracha and garlic powder, but it still had the kick of the real stuff. The cooking time prompts were especially helpful. Thank you again. Deanna

    ReplyDelete