Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Summer Dinner: Grilled Steak, Fairy Tale Eggplants, and Garlic Scapes

Isn't that so pretty? I bought garlic scapes and fairy tale eggplants at the Union Square farmers market Monday night for dinner. I love eggplants and these little guys are so pretty and aren't bitter at all. Dinner was simple and summery and delicious - I'd love to have people over and serve the exact same thing. The eggplants were soft and tender and the scapes were sort of like a garlickly asparagus.
Serves 2
Ingredients:
6 Fairy Tale eggplants
1 big bunch garlic scapes
1 prime steak (we have some from Costco that are great and you can freeze them, just thaw them overnight in the refrigerator)
Olive oil
salt and pepper
cumin

Directions:
First, take the steak out and liberally season with salt and pepper. Let it get to room temperature. Toss the garlic scapes with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss the eggplants with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin. I rubbed my hands on the olive oily plate and patted the steaks with the leftover drips. This made them extra crispy on the outside, so will definitely keep doing it!
It was pouring rain, so while I had planned to do this on the grill, I had to do it in the broiler. I lined it all up on a foil-lined baking sheet and stuck it under the broiler on high. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping it all once, until everything is soft and slightly charred.
Grill the steak on a very hot grill pan until it's cooked to your liking (we like medium rare, as you can see). 

No comments:

Post a Comment