Friday, July 20, 2012

Plum-Blackberry Streusel Pie

Last night I was home alone, so I felt like baking would be a fun activity. I've also been wanting to try my beautiful new Emile Henry pie dish that my sisters-in-law-to-be gave me as a shower present. (Thanks, guys!) This Plum-Blackberry Streusel Pie sounded great, so I braved the heat (not as bad as earlier this week), turned on my oven, and baked. What a pretty pie!

Ingredients:

4 large, pitted and quartered
2 cups blackberries
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 frozen pie crust (I used one from Trader Joe's)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into bits


Directions:

Put a foil-lined large baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
Toss plums and blackberries with 1 cup sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.

Roll out thawed dough into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Fit into pie plate. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under and press against rim of pie plate. Chill while making streusel.
Stir together oats, flour, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture forms small clumps.
Mound filling in shell. Crumble streusel evenly over filling.
Bake pie until streusel is golden and filling is bubbling, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Check on it a few times to make sure the crust isn't burning. If it gets really brown, like mine did, cover it with some foil.
Cool completely, 3 to 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment