Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vegetable Garden Week 15

After my hiatus in Greece, my garden was booming! The peas were finished and turning brown and the Swiss Chard were taken over by zucchini, but everything else was super happy. The yellow brandywine tomato plant is about 6 ft tall with a few big, green tomatoes. The thing is like a tree! It got so heavy I had to go buy steaks to position on either side of the garden and tie the cage to them with twine - hopefully soon those green tomatoes will turn yellow so we can eat them! The three better boy tomato plants were covered in green tomatoes (I've learned with heirlooms the plants tend to get pretty big but you get less fruit, so the yellow brandywine is huge but just has two tomatoes on it while the better boys are smaller but each had about 6-10 tomatoes already) and the green grape tomato plant has tons of little green tomatoes, some of them already edible and sweet ad delicious.
There were 4 eggplants on the eggplant plant - 1 ready to eat - so sweet and tasty. I was surprised. I've never grown eggplant before and I was kind of expecting to just get one eggplant all summer. This little plant seems to be pumping them out, plus it has really pretty, light purple flowers. Watch out for little purple thorns on the flowers and eggplant stems!

There were tons of zucchini, one of which was enormous (not the one pictured) that I'll be saving for some zucchini bread.
I also had a few jalapenos and ate one tonight - super spicy and delicious! Jamie, who loves spicy food and eats jalapenos like candy had a little slice and his eyes turned red and he coughed and said it was the spiciest jalapeno he'd ever had.
I used my fresh veggies to make a really tasty summer pasta.

2 comments:

  1. Since you can stomach the hottest peppers, curries, salsas, etc around, I thought it was a good example of how hot they were! My lips were burning... For those reading, I attest that Jamie is a big, strong, super hot chili-eating man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me sound like a complete wimp.

    ReplyDelete