Thursday, July 28, 2011

Zucchini Pickles

So another zucchini recipe to make use of my plethora of squash! I also found this recipe from Martha Stewart and it comes from Zuni's Cafe in San Francisco. I altered it a little bit. After waiting a few days so that the flavors mingled and marinated I tasted the pickles - delicious! So much flavor. They have much more depth than store bought pickles. Admittedly, they are't as crunchy as cucumber pickles, but such a great tang and sour bite to them. I also don't like sweet pickles, and I think these have a perfect amount of sugar (I wouldn't want them any sweeter). These little pickles are also great on burgers - I tried on a juicy Trader Joe's wagyu style burger recently. The turmeric gives the brine (and pickles) a great yellow color. If you have a canner, I think you can properly can these and then you don't need to refrigerate them until you open the jar.

Ingredients:
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced with a mandolin
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (I also used a mandolin)
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp mustard seeds, crushed
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp turmeric
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 black pepper corns
1 serrano chili, sliced
4 dried chilis


Directions:
Bring brine (everything but the zucchini and onion) to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook 3 minutes (this will have some intense vapor). Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Let it cool down until it's just warm to the touch. Adjust salt.
Add the zucchini and onion and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to jars (I used 3 5 oz Quattro Stagione jars) and refrigerate. These last about 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment