Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Vegetable Garden Week 16

Attack of the monster zucchini! I picked all of the zucchinis last week on 6 days later, look what I found bursting out all over the garden. 10 zucchinis, several of which were enormous. The big one in the foreground had to be 6 pounds. My mom says those are zucchini bread zucchinis (recipe to follow). Now I'm thinking up and researching all sorts of recipes to use this plethora of courgettes.


Also ripe and happy this week were my little green grape tomatoes! Look at this beautiful plate of them. They make an excellent salad. They're colorful, sweet, and juicy. If there are tons next weekend, I'm going to try a salsa. Below, I just sliced them and tossed them with very thinly sliced Vidalia onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and a little julienned basil. It's so summery and fresh.


Everything else in the garden was pretty happy. The rest of the tomato plants are covered in green tomatoes, and the yellow brandywine has a few big green tomatoes that I suspect will be turning yellow very soon. I can't wait to try them! There are three pretty good size eggplants but I'm letting them get a little bigger this time. More next week - hopefully the zucchini will be a more manageable bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment