Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

My wonderful little niece Grace accidenally picked a green tomato. At first my eyes went wide and I mourned the juicy, red garden tomato that was on its way, but then I thought about fried green tomatoes. I'd always wanted to make them, but I never had the courage to pull off a green tomato. These were super tasty and crunchy and a perfect remedy for any overeager little gardeners.

Ingredients:
1 green tomato
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp semolina flour
1 tsp paprika
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup milk
olive oil
mayonnaise
Sriracha

Directions:
Mix the dry ingredients in one shallow bowl and pour the milk in another. Slice the tomato into half inch slices. Dip the slices first in the dry ingredients, then in the milk, then back in the dry. Heat about 1/2" of oil in a small skillet until a drop of flour sizzles. Add 2 slices at a time and cook about 2 minutes each side, until brown and crispy. Drain finished slices on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Top with a little mayo and sriracha (I didn't remix because I was in a hurry and didn't want to dirty another bowl). Yum!

1 comment:

  1. You are a mind reader! I have two green tomatoes from our garden sitting in my apartment waiting to be fried up. I know what I will be cooking tonight...

    ReplyDelete