Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tomato, Chard, and Goat Cheese Tart

I was drooling over this recipe on the Times and couldn't wait to try it with my tomatoes. Due to time restraints and some fresh swiss chard I had, I switched it up a little by adding sauteed swiss chard and onion and doing it in a frozen pie crust I had in my freezer. While I'm sure it tastes better with the olive oil pastry, this was pretty delicious. Served it with a salad full of more tomatoes. It was great and light, and I love the combination of savory tarts and salads in the summer.
Ingredients:
1 large bunch swiss chard, chopped, stems and leaves separated
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
olive oil
frozen pie crust

2 tbsp dijon mustard
2-3 large tomatoes, sliced
fresh basil, julienned
2 eggs
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.
Heat a little olive oil in a skillet. Once hot, add the chard stems and the onion and saute until soft.
Add the chard leaves and some water as needed and saute until they start to wilt, then cover, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are tender - about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread the mustard on the bottom of the pie crust. Top with the swiss chard mixture. Top with tomato slices, basil, and salt and pepper.
Whisk the eggs and the goat cheese in a bowl and pour over the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake 30-40 minutes. If it's set but not brown, throw it under the broiler for a minute or two. Serve with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment