Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fried Zucchini Blossoms

This may be my favorite summer hors d'oeuvres - it's crispy and light and flavorful and just tastes like summer. It's also pretty. You can actually often find zucchini blossoms at the Union Square Green Market, but I picked these from my garden. (Don't pick too many or you won't get any zucchini!) The light batter makes the flowers fry up to be crispy but not at all heavy. Some people stuff the blossoms with ricotta or mozzarella etc, but I think they're perfect plain. If you can get some zucchini blossoms, try this!! They're amazing.
Ingredients:
zucchini blossoms, with one slit made down the side
flour

water
kosher salt
oil
Directions:
Mix flour and water until you have a thin batter about the thickness of cream. Heat a pot or pan with about an inch of oil (can use a small sauce pan). When a drop of batter sizzles in the oil, it's hot enough. Dip one zucchini blossom in the batter until it has a thin coating of batter on both the outside and inside. Drop it into the oil and turn once or twice until the blossom is crispy. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Start with the next blossom until you're done.

2 comments:

  1. I love these so much! Mine were just about ready to pick and the deer got them! I am now spraying weekly to avoid any further loss to my garden. I wanted to keep the entire garden natural but have tried other ways to keep deer out to no avail.

    Your zucchini blossoms really look delicious and you make them exactly as I do. Thanks so much for showing this wonderful summer delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a shame about the deer! I've been spraying my garden with Liquid Fence to keep away deer and rabbits and it's worked like a charm! I can't believe it because there are so many deer in my area. It smells terrible, but once it dries you can't smell it (but deer still can). I think it's kept them out of the yard too because the rhododendrons are usually chewed up but haven't been touched this year.

    I hope you get more blossoms!!

    ReplyDelete