Monday, June 27, 2011

Vegetable Garden Week 12

First, please excuse the truck and portapotty in the background - the house is under construction. My garden is doing so well! The zucchinis are huge and I got 5 little ones that grew from last weekend to this. (I picked them all since I'll be gone the next 2 weekends in Greece! Recipes to follow, of course.) I grilled them up and fried the blossoms. Sooo tasty.

There were tons of peas! They were delicious and crunchy and sweet. We had a big bowl of them that lasted about 2 hours of continuous running-through-the-kitchen-snacking between three of us.
My mom was out there, so she, Jamie, and I did our best picking all the peas that were ready - some were too small so she'll be enjoying them next weekend. They're really starting to take over. Once they stop producing, I'm going to cut them down so the tomatoes get a bit more room and light.
The eggplant has a few little purple flowers that I'm hoping become eggplants. They're so soft and pretty - except for the little purple thorns!
The peppers had a few flowers and baby peppers on them! And my tomatoes look very healthy. The green grape is sprawling and wild, the yellow brandywine is tall, thick, and bushy and starting to have little flowers (hopefully future tomatoes). The three Better Boys are also really starting to grow. I have to get a cage for the third one.
The marigolds and nasturtiums are also doing really well which brings some nice color to the garden (as you can see). Also, keeping away the bad bugs. The basil's doing great and we had some pesto pasta Sunday night - such a good, summery dish. I'm going to miss my little garden while I'm in Greece and hope there are some tomatoes for me when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment