Monday, June 6, 2011

Vegetable Garden Week 9

Look at my wonderful garden! Everything is growing well and looks happy and healthy. The peas have grown a foot since last weekend and have a few flowers on them, so hopefully pea pods will be soon to follow. The eggplant looks happier than it did, the zucchini grew a ton and has its big leaves stretched out. The green grape tomato and the yellow brandywine tomato have grown a lot - the green grape especially (right in the middle).
Jamie next to the peas (to show how high they've grown)
Pea flowers
I finished up the planting this weekend, so now it's just a matter of watering and making sure the herbs don't go to flower. I planted thyme, mint, nasturtium, amd marigolds. The nasturtiums and marigolds are good to plant near tomatoes and zucchini (and other veggies) because they keep bad bugs away. Apparently the smell of the marigolds along with a chemical they put into the soil keep bugs at bay. Plus they add great color to a vegetable garden. I watered the garden heavily and applied a layer of mulch which made it look much neater, and also helps the soil hold the moisture and keeps weeds from sprouting. The Swiss Chard looks about ready to start taking a few leaves off to put in a salad, but I'm going to let them get a little better. Of course, before I left to come back to the city, I doused the whole garden with heavy dose of the awful smelling (and miracle working) deer/rabbit repellent. Can't wait to see how big they are next weekend!

2 comments:

  1. MMM I want some grilled veggies from that garden this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I'll be sure to bring some veggies into the office once I have some...

    ReplyDelete