Friday, March 16, 2012

Garden Planning

Jamie and I are starting up the garden this weekend (according to Martha Stewart, it's a tradition to plant peas on St. Patrick's Day!). We're building a second garden bed, too, giving us double the room! I've been thinking for weeks about what I want to plant this year, even trying to plant my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants from seeds. Above is my sketched out plan (the beds are 8'x4' so it's easier to make a grid). The peas will be done by mid-June, so they'll allow the plants near them more room to grow later. And I only plan to do about 2 rounds of carrots and beets, so the bushy tomatoes can grow into that space. The bed nearer to the hedge will have the lower plants and the bed further the higher (so they both get as much sun as possible). I can't wait to start eating fresh vegetables! (It is sad to think how long I'll have to wait - we probably won't even get the peas until late May.)

Wish us luck!

The plan:

Plants in Bed #1
Swiss Chard
Brussel Sprouts
Herbs (basil, mint, thyme, oregano, marigolds, nasturtiums...)
Carrots
Beets
Sweet 100 Tomatoes (and probably Green Grape tomatoes)
Zucchini
Cucumber
Peas (only for the spring/early June)

Plants in Bed #2
Hot peppers
Herbs (same as above)
Eggplant
Tomatoes
Peas (only for the spring/early June) 

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Sybil, I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Im getting hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis! We'll have to bring you some veggies this summer!

      Delete