Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bibb Lettuce with Creamy Parmesan Dressing and Cheese Crisps

Another recipe from the wonderful "Stir" cookbook by Barbara Lynch. She said she'd so tired of Mesclun, and I kind of get it. The Bibb lettuce is so crispy and nice. The dressing is creamy and subtle and the cheese crisps are awesome.

Ingredients:
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 cup grapeseed oil
3 1/2 cups finely grated Pecorino Romano (she says parm, but I used Pecorino)
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large head Bibb lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into pieces
1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
Parsley and tarragon, finely chopped


Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar until well combined. Slowly add the grapeseed oil in a thin, steady drizzle until the oil is completely incorporated and the dressing is emulsified. Whisk in 2 cups of the grated cheese. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper. Thin with a teaspoon of cold water if very thick.
Heat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat liner. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese with the extra virgin olive oil. Make little mounds of cheese on the Silpat, using heaping tablespoons of cheese leaving 2 inches between them. Gently flatten the mounds with an offset spatula to spread the cheese mixture evenly into a very thin circle. Make at least 12 crisps.
Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 10-12 minutes. Let the crisps cool on the baking sheet before carefully removing them with a thin spatula. (They are very delicate, so be gentle!)
Divide half of the lettuce on 6 plates. Drizzle a tablespoon of the dressing over each and top with a crisp. Divide the rest of the salad on top of them, drizzle with another tablespoon of dressing and top with a second crisp. Top with almonds and a sprinkle of herbs.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, posting a comment :-) LOVE your recipes and your ambition and energy for homemade meals. They always want to make me take on a cooking challenge!

    So here is a question for you :-) I'm getting married next month...what are your top recommendations for registry cooking tools, etc.? (ie. huge stockpot? pasta attachment??) Would love to hear your recos as I add/return items and set up our kitchen :-) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That’s so nice to hear.

      For registering, I guess it depends on a few things – what you already have, and how big your kitchen is. I live in a little one-bedroom apartment, so storage is tight, but as you have probably seen, I still have lots of gadgets. It also depends on how much time you like to invest in cooking. I’m trying to think of it all and am a little scatterbrained, so hopefully this will help. Let me know if you have any questions or if I seem to have left anything out!!

      Here are the things I have in my kitchen and love…
      A great skillet – I have an old cast iron Griswold skillet which is awesome, and a shiny new all-clad skillet. Love them both
      A great pasta pot – I actually got a Cuisinart pot from TJ Maxx that I still love, but basically, it’s a great, big pot that’s perfect for boiling water for pasta, frying chicken, making soups, etc
      A dutch oven pot like from Le Creuset – these are the best for anything braised or stewed for a long time because of the heavy bottom, and of course, they’re so pretty! I also have a few mini ones that are cute for serving individual things like soufflés, mac and cheese, and even cold things like dips or paté
      A sauce pan – I had one from TJ Maxx that worked well, but just got a really pretty one from Sur La Table which is nicer and also has a steamer insert you can get that’s great for steaming vegetables
      Grill pan – I have a little grill pan, not the big two-burner one but one that looks like a square skillet with ridges, and it’s easy to store and great for grilling inside
      Knives – I actually didn’t get a knife block, but instead a variety of knives I really liked. If you get a block, some in there might not be as good, plus I have a magnetic strip to hold my knives and it really saves space and lets you see which knife you’re grabbing so you’re not lifting out 5 knives before you find the serrated knife. Get a good pair of kitchen shears, too. Makes butterflying/deboning chicken much easier
      Knife sharpener – great because you can keep the new, better knives sharp and also sharpen up any old knives
      Food Mill – a lot of people will say not to get a food mill because they take up space, but if you like making tomato sauce, it’s fab, and great for gnocchi too. Haven’t tried it for soups etc yet, but I will soon
      Gnocchi board – I actually love mine and it makes gnocchi-making a breeze, and much more professional looking gnocchi come out. It’s also little so you can stash it away. (Only get this if you actually like or plan to make gnocchi, or garganelli!)
      Kitchen Aid/Pasta Extruder – I usually make pasta with a hand crank machine, which I also love, but I just tried the pasta extruder and it’s awesome. It’s a much faster process. You make the dough in the kitchen aid then basically just ball it into pieces and put it through the extruder. Very simple, and the pasta was really great – and everyone was very impressed
      Cutting board – get a thick cutting board so it doesn’t warp and crack
      Baking – if you make, get the basics, a good loaf pan, cake pans, baking sheets, muffins/mini muffins, tart pan, pie pan, etc and a silpat so nothing sticks
      Cuisinart – I have both a small and a large cuisinart and I really like having both. I use the small one more often for things like hummus and dips and dressings, but the big one is good for making dough, pureeing soups, making bigger batches of hummus
      Wooden spoon – cheap wooden spoons are fine, the secret is just not putting them in the dishwasher. Wash it by hand and it’ll become dark and seasoned and I yell at anyone who puts mine in the dishwasher by accident
      Spunula – good for mixing and scraping
      Mandolin – I have a great Japanese ceramic blade mandolin that is amazing and can slice super thin
      Spider – this is a Chinese kind of mini strainer with a handle – great for small pasta like gnocchi, bowties, etc and frying and lifting things out of hot water
      Spatula
      Set of mixing bowls – I have a set of like 10 glass nesting bowls that are perfect because it has all the sizes you’d need

      Thanks for reading! Hope this helps

      Delete
    2. And how could I forget, congratulations! I had the most wonderful time at my wedding, and I'm sure you will, too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh this is great :-) My kitchen will be so well-equipped!! Weddings are so fun and I can tell from your pics you had a blast...can't wait for ours! I registered for the Mandolin (I think b/c of one of your posts, ha!), big Cuisinart (already have small), and just added the food mill, and TEN mixing bowls...why not? Great advice on the knives (Williams Sonoma talked me out of knife block as well). Our kitchen is kind of huge for a city apartment, which makes it easy to collect a lot of things, which is why your list is especially helpful. Thanks again. So fun!!

    ReplyDelete