Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Get Better Soup

I had a bad cold and started to feel a little flu-ish on Monday and went home from work. I made myself a soup that I thought might cure my cold and nausea. I think it worked as I soon felt better. It's cheap and easy and tasty. Maybe don't have it before a date...
Ingredients:
3 cups chicken stock
5 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 small leek, cleaned and only white and light green parts chopped
1" ginger, peeled and minced
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 big piece lemon zest
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 pinch red pepper flakes

Directions:
Sauté leeks, garlic, zest, and ginger w a little olive oil until soft. Add salt. 
Add broth and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer until vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes).
I pulled out 3 of the garlic cloves, which I recommend. The 2 leftover are strong enough, but add more back in if you want. Purée with an immersion blender or in a food processor. 
Season to taste. 
Add water to thin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment