Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake

Nothing really tells me it's summer quite like eating strawberry shortcake for dessert. I've always just made what my mom makes - the classic Bisquick recipe. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes and it's so sweet and tart from the strawberries and the syrup from the mixture soaks into the bottom piece of shortcake. Yum! (I actually just ate another helping for breakfast! I'm stuffed, but couldn't resist.) Usually I would use homemade whipped cream, but we already had ReadyWhip so I just went with it.
Serves 6
Ingredients:
4 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/3 cup Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
whipped cream

Directions:
Mix Strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar and set aside. (You can do this before you start making dinner to get lots of good syrup.)
Preheat oven to 425.
Stir Bisquick, milk, 3 tbsp sugar, and the butter until a soft dough forms.
Drop 6 spoonfulls onto an ungreased cookie sheet (they don't need to be perfectly shaped and look better a little mottled).
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Split the warm shortcakes with a serrated knife. Fill and top with strawberry mixture (pouring extra syrup onto the split top of the bottom piece) and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment