Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 11

The garden looks amazing! Everything is really starting to grow quickly. There were some peas (it seems the "pea wando" peas I planted in the first bed are actually snow peas not snap peas because they're flat). Next weekend we should have a lot more, and there were some babies forming.
I was impatient and pulled out a beet and a carrot. It was so satisfying! The chioggia beet had these beautiful circles on the inside, and the little baby carrot was crunchy and tasty.

The tomatoes were getting huge, too! Lots of little flowers coming out. I always try to pick off the first round of flowers because the second round has more flowers resulting in more tomatoes. It's the hardest thing to do because you know you're killing those tomatoes, but it makes for a better crop later!
I was weeding around my rhubarb (which looks like it's finally settling in and putting out a little new growth!) and I saw this big thing I thought was a lily. I yanked it out and it was garlic!
I had totally forgotten that my friend Kara and I had planted a little garlic clove that had a green shoot coming out. I tried to plant them back in so they hopefully aren't totally dead, but I did have one scape that I'd plucked off to try out. It was so pungent and garlicky. I made bruschetta with it instead of garlic - delish!
I also saw these beautiful pink zinnias at the farmers market today so I bought them. Last time I waiting until Friday to buy my zinnias and they only had orange. (Don't get me wrong, orange is great, but I have lots of orange/red in the garden already with my marigolds and nasturtiums, so I'm psyched for some pink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment