Monday, April 9, 2012

Easy Chicken Liver Pâté

My brother-in-law Austen got me this awesome cookbook for Christmas - Home Made by Yvette van Boven.
The chicken liver pâté looked good, and easy. I'd never made pâté but always wanted to, so now I can check it off my list! It's simple, cheap, and so rich and creamy. Next time I may use a little less cream and maybe add some more herbs, but this is great to have with cornichons, some jam or chutney, and warm bread. I served it with my tomato jam (and new favorite condiment) and it was fab.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb chicken livers
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp dark rum or brandy (it calls for brandy, but I didn't have any, so I substituted dark rum)

Directions:
Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a small pan. Add the shallots and saute until soft but not brown.
Put the shallots into a food processor. Put the chicken livers into the same pan and saute until browned on the outside but still pink in the middle, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken livers to the food processor. Add the cream, remaining butter, and rum/brandy. Puree until very smooth.
Push through a fine mesh sieve into the bowl in which you want to serve it. At this point, you can either top it with clarified butter or just cover it in saran wrap, making sure to touch the top so it doesn't discolor.
Put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set. Serve with cornichons or pickles, chutney or jam, and warm bread or crackers.
I sprinkled some black salt on top and put on a sprig of thyme to dress it up a little.

3 comments: