Friday, April 20, 2012

Tomatoes from Union Square

My 4 Big Boys and 4 Super Sweet 100s are growing bigger every day on my windowsill, but I needed some funky heirlooms to round them out (my garden has space for 13 tomato plants! isn't it amazing??). On a Wednesday trip to Union Square I came back with 5 very cool tomato plants - 2 cherry tomato and 3 bigger. I can't wait to see the tomatoes they have because they all look so funky and cool. I didn't get any heirloom beefsteaks because I think we'll have enough with the 4 Big Boy plants. We'll certainly have tons of cherry tomatoes! Those are so great for salads and are always prolific, so I don't mind. I can make salsa, too!

Here are the cool heirlooms I bought today! (Info from rareseeds.com) I hope to have a very colorful garden!

Big:
Japanese Black Trifele - "80-90 days. Attractive tomatoes are the shape and size of a Bartlett pear with a beautiful purplish-brick color; the fruit are perfect and smooth with no cracks. The flavor is absolutely sublime, having all the richness of fine chocolate. This was our heaviest producer for 2004. The plants produced loads of fruit all summer long. It has become a favorite with many seed savers and we are glad to be able to offer such a colorful variety. It is believed to have come from Russia, so don't ask me about the name! "

Plum Lemon - "80 days. Bright canary-yellow 3” fruit looks just like a fresh lemon. The perfect tomato for marketing (along with Green Zebra, Orange Banana, and Black Prince) to chefs and other gourmets. This variety was collected by Kent Whealy, of Seed Savers Exchange, from an elderly seedsman at the Bird Market in Moscow. Delicious, sweet-taste. "

Striped Tigerella - "55-75 days Tasty round fruit are bright red with orange stripes. The 2-inch tomatoes are quite beautiful. The yields are high even in cool summers, and it starts producing very early. It also has good disease resistance. So smooth, so pretty! Originating in England; this is a good greenhouse crop. "

Little:
Black Cherry - "75 days. Beautiful black cherries look like large, dusky purple-brown grapes; they have that rich flavor that makes black tomatoes famous. Large vines yield very well; very unique and delicious"

Mini Orange - "A tasty little tomato that produces massive yields of salad-sized tomatoes all summer. These little 2 oz tomatoes are of the most intense orange color, they seem to be almost glowing. This one really stands out in the garden, table or at market. "

No comments:

Post a Comment