Monday, April 16, 2012

Vegetable Garden Week 4

After being away for about a month, I went back out to the country last weekend and got to see my garden. Apart from being super dry, it looked great! (Especially once I watered it.) Four of the five brussels sprouts I planted sprouted, a perfect line of beets popped up (I'll need to thin them next weekend), and all the peas had sprouted! So exciting.
Brussels Sprouts
Beets
Peas
I planted another row of beets and carrots, a row of swiss chard, zucchinis, and cucumbers. I also set up a little trellis for the cucumbers and planted some lettuce underneath.

Kara and I went a little overboard at Lynch's and bought arugula, tasty red leaf, black seeded simpson, mesclun mix, and two lettuces that we couldn't resist - Drunk Woman Frizzy Headed. What a great name. I sprayed them like crazy with the deer spray so hopefully they won't get eaten by deer or bunnies!
We also planted the beautiful rhubarb. I hope it's happy! I'm so looking forward to rhubarb confections this summer.
It was SUCH a beautiful weekend. Jamie, Kara, and I went to the beach and the bay and it was amazing.
It was so nice to get my hands dirty in the garden. Really makes you feel like you've done something with your weekend!
Also, it's going to be 80+ degrees today so I put my little tomato, pepper, and eggplant seedlings on my fire escape to get a little sun and fresh air. (My tomato plants actually aren't so little anymore! Can't wait to plant them next weekend.)

What did you do this weekend? Did you plant anything?

More pics...
Peas and trellis
Bed 2 - Lettuces
Bed 1
Kara, my gardening helper before Jamie got the hose working
Happy weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment