Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pomegranate-Glazed Seared Duck Breast with Ramps and Crispy Potatoes

I went to the Union Square market yesterday to see what looked good and I decided to try ramps! I've always wanted to cook with them but have never tried. I love garlic, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I also got a duck breast. I had potatoes at home. I figured I could make something good with this. (Potatoes + duck fat = yum yum yum yum) I saw a good looking recipe from Anne Burell with how to perfectly sear the duck breast, and she used pomegranate molasses (a totally awesome ingredient). I thought hers sounded a little too syrupy sweet, so I changed it up a bit. It was delicious! I highly recommend this for impressing someone for dinner. The pomegranate molasses is tart and sweet and sticky and the duck is rich and salty. The ramps look beautiful on top, and the potatoes are perfect to soak up the extra juice. Make it while there are still ramps!

Serves 2
Ingredients:
3 ramps (bulb and leaves) roots removed, 1 finely diced
1 duck breast, fat scored in a crosshatch pattern
1/2 lb small potatoes
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1/4 cup reduced chicken broth (I used a cups worth of bouillon with 1/4 cup water)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp (big pinch) cumin
1/8 tsp (big pinch) coriander
1/8 tsp (big pinch) chipotle powder
2 sprigs fresh thyme

Directions:
Mix the pomegranate molasses, chopped ramp, stock, and herbs in a bowl or measuring cup. Heat a skillet to medium-low and put the duck breast and the ramps in (duck skin-side-down).

As the fat builds up, scoop it out and reserve - you'll be surprised how much fat comes out. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until just fork tender, drain, and cool. Cut in half.
Let the duck breast cook this way on medium-low for 15-20 minutes until the skin is really crispy and brown. Flip the ramps until the leaves are crispy and the bulb is soft - they look really appetizing. Take them out.
Then flip the duck and sear it for a minute or two until the bottom is brown. (Look at that pretty skin!)
Remove the duck and let it sit, loosely tented with foil. Add the potatoes to the pan and cook until brown all over, about 10-15 minutes, adding more duck fat if needed. Remove and salt heavily.
Add the pomegranate mixture and stir until syrupy, about 2-5 minutes. Add the duck and coat in the sauce.
Slice the duck on the bias and plate next to the potatoes drizzled liberally with the sauce and topped with the crispy ramp.

No comments:

Post a Comment