Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Best Lunch - Burritos

Often I have to run out during lunch and end up spending like $10 on a little salad. I hate spending lots of money on lunch just because those are the only options. I do bring leftovers a lot, but not every day. Then I decided I should make some burritos and freeze them, wrapped individually, to take to work for lunch. Also, if I made them myself, I knew I could make them taste just the way I like, and be sure they're actually pretty healthy at the same time. I made 8 the other day and Jamie flipped out and loved them so much he begged me to make more, so last week I went to the store and loaded up on supplies.

For $35, I made 22 burritos (kind of in his and hers sizes - the really big flour tortillas were a little too much for me for lunch, so I made Jamie's in those and mine in the medium size flour tortillas so I don't feel quite so fat after lunch). It's an amazing deal and takes about an hour and a half total. You can also add rice, but I find rice is a filler to beef up the burrito cheaply, and you're already getting tons of carbs from the tortilla, so in my opinion it's unnecessary. BUT, if you love rice in yours, go right ahead! I also added chicken this time at Jamie's request, but it's just fine without chicken too. (For expedience, I used a rotisserie chicken which is just fine for these purposes.)
Highly recommend this if you have access to a microwave at work! Undo the Saran wrap, loosely wrap the burrito in paper towel, and cook 1.5-2 minutes each side (flipping once). Serve with a little salsa. Yum!

Ingredients:
2 jalapenos, finely chopped
1 1/2 yellow onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
mix of spices (about 1 tsp each) or chipotle powder, cumin, chili powder, coriander
about 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 bags frozen corn
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch cilantro, cleaned, dried, and chopped
1 bag shredded cheese (or shred it yourself - again, I wanted something quick)
2 bags flour tortillas (or more if you use small ones)
1 rotisserie chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 just salsa (more to taste)
1/4 cup BBQ sauce (ideally a little sweet, or BBQ sauce with a few tbsp honey)
Water

Directions:
In a large skillet, saute the onions with the spices.
When the onion is pretty soft, add the garlic and jalapenos. Stir until garlic is fragrant, then immediately add the corn and beans (as not to burn the garlic). Stir in the salsa, BBQ sauce, and chicken. If it's too dry, add water. (You want it to be slightly saucy.) Flavor with salt and pepper (and sugar/honey and hot sauce/red pepper flakes for heat and sweetness levels). Let it simmer for about 10-20 minutes so all of the flavors mix together.
When it's all ready and tastes great, get ready to make the burritos. Heat the oven to "warm" or about 200 and put the tortillas in there. This will soften them up and make them roll easier. Get ready to move kind of quickly so they don't get crispy, or just put in a couple at a time.
Put out a square of Saran wrap and put the warm tortilla on top. Scoop some of the filling onto one side of the tortilla, leaving at least an inch before the edge. Sprinkle with a little cheese and some cilantro. Fold the side edges in to make little walls, then roll it up snugly. (You don't want to overfill it or it won't roll up correctly.) Then wrap it up tightly in Saran wrap. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...until you have a giant pile of burritos in your freezer ready to serve up some wonderful and cheap work lunches.
Lunch at my desk with a little tomatillo salsa, mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment