Monday, May 21, 2012

Vegetable Garden Week 9

The garden is looking awesome! Everything is growing and blooming and looking healthy and green. It's really looking like a thriving summer garden. The tomatoes etc that were a little stunted by the cold snap are coming back and getting greener - though it's still amazing the difference between those in the wall o waters and those outside of them. Look at this - two of the Super Sweet 100s I planted from seeds. The one in the wall o water is double the size! Next year I really need to order like 20 of them.
The peas have gotten to be almost 3 feet tall and are grabbing onto everything, yay.

The first row of beets has gotten so big that I had to finally thin them out to make 3 inches between each plant. (It was so hard to cut off the others, but I'll be eating them tonight in some pasta, so at least they'll serve a purpose!) And the carrots, both from seeds and transplants, are doing really well. The brussels sprouts are getting really big and bushy.
The lettuce is going nuts, especially the arugula. We'll be eating lots of arugula this summer and I can't wait to try out yummy arugula recipes. (Made a really tasty arugula and white bean dip last night.)
One bummer is the there's some animal living in the garden. There's a giant hole! This weekend we flooded it, though next weekend I'm going to try to fill it up with dirt or something or set up a trap. It's cavernous!
Everything in the wall o waters is thriving and I think I may take them off soon once the weather's really warm. They aren't a thing of great beauty, but man are they effective.
I love the garden! It made me so happy to see everything doing so well, and to eat another delicious salad last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment